Every time we enter business in a new state, it is a constant challenge to figure out all the taxes we owe. In Alabama, for a single campground, we file and pay
- Alabama lodging tax
- Alabama sales tax
- Alabama boat rental tax
- Marshall County lodging tax
- Marshall County property tax
- Marshall County sales tax
- Marshall County occupancy tax
- Marshall County health certification
- Alabama unemployment tax
- Alabama withholding tax
- Alabama personal and corporate income tax
So of course we got billed for a new one today, for the Alabama Business Privilege Tax, apparently a corporate net worth tax. No forms or notices are sent for this tax until after it is due, when one owes about 80% in penalties.
By the way, pay the government for the "privilege" to conduct commerce is one of those government euphemisms that drive me up a tree.