Unfortunately, the libertarian "bloc" in the country tends to be a bit too small for either of the two major parties to fight over - kind of like expending energy on wooing left handed Eskimo pipe-welders. However, last year, with many libertarians opposing key parts of the Patriot Act, the growth in government spending, and the war in Iraq, the left and the Democratic Party made a bid to woo libertarians over to the Kerry camp.
I would have found this argument more compelling had the left proven themselves to be a bit more consistent supporters of democracy and individual rights around the world. Many on the left bent themselves into pretzels supporting blatant totalitarians in hopes of seeing George Bush fail. Other leftists continue to be strong Marxists, supporting socialist regimes with a blind eye towards their human rights records.
While the socialists are probably a loss, there is still hope for much of the left to craft a freedom- and individual-rights-based foreign policy that libertarians could find compelling -- I handed out some free advice here. However, before they left can really make progress here, the need to learn how to recognize a dictatorship:
You Know its a Dictatorship When:
- Michael Moore portrays the country as a kite-flying paradise
- Jimmy Carter sanctioned their last election
- The UN certifies that there is no genocide
- They sign friendship pacts with other dictatorships (also here and here and here too)
- They are a member of the UN Human Rights commission (not 100% foolproof but getting closer every year)
- They were once a French colony, and/or France is opposing sanctions against it (also here too)
- Their people are impoverished and they lag the world in economic growth
Update: Welcome Powerline and Instapundit readers.